Saturday 30 November 2013

Recently Read....

I thought it was time to resurrect my "Recently Read" category; these are books which I have read for the sheer fun of it, not because I have asked for books to review over at The Garden Window.

Because of NaNo in November, I have not had chance to do a lot of recreational reading, but I did enjoy these:






Although I have not worked as a midwife for 16 years, I still love reading about it :-)


Our dear John lent me his wine-making reference book after I sampled a glass of his wonderfully lethal Rhubarb wine !



This was a lovely read about the city of St David's. It was also topical for my NaNo project.



This is an old but excellent guide to St David's, which I have had for a long time and it was second-hand even then.....


I have been making this wonderful book last for as long as I possibly could; I was very sad to get to the end of it. Mother Dolores Hart was an accomplished actress  and gained a certain degree of notoriety for giving Elvis his first on-screen kiss; she gave up her acting career to become a cloistered Benedictine nun and this remarkable book tells the story of her life, her acting career and her life in the convent.

 This was research for my NaNo and I loved every page. When I can afford it, I will be buying a copy for myself but as it is an academic special interest book, it is extremely expensive indeed.




A friend recommended this book and said it would give a great insight into the religious spirituality which pervaded Bavaria at the time when Pope Benedict was growing up. A thoroughly enjoyable book about the life and work of the Pope.

No comments: