Thursday 24 July 2014

Summer Days

It has been scorching hot for us over the last few days. Yesterday the temperature reached 26 C / 78.8 F and today it is already 19 c with 64% humidity; our forecast is for 27 C / 80 F later on. Even with the fan on, it was stiflingly hot last night and I was glad to get up at 4.45 am and go out in the blissfully cool garden with the dog :-)

Our honeysuckle bush is in full flower, wrapped around a large lavender bush and the scent of the two combined is exquisite. Breathing in the fresh cool air was such a delight. I was out walking the dog at 6 am, once it was fully light and the sun was rising over the houses. We went down to the beach and had to content ourselves with walking down the slipway and meeting the tide as it came in, the waves lapping gently as Basil splashed around for a few minutes before we made our way slowly home. We saw only one other intrepid dog walker before we reached home and Basil plopped happily on the floor for a well-deserved nap.

I had a mountain of handwashing in the kitchen, reproaching me, so I decided to tackle some of it before it got too hot. I handwashed eighteen scarves one by one, rinsed them thoroughly and hung them on the washing line to dry in the breeze, and once those are done, I will wash the next batch. Washing the dog is also on the agenda for today, but I have not said the B-A-T-H word out loud for fear of rebellion in the ranks....

Time for a refreshing cup of tea before the next task!

No comments: